10 Ten Minute Exercise Routines for the Busy Mom that Require No Weights
When it comes to exercise workouts something is better than nothing!
Exercise is sooo good for your mental health, physical health, sleep, and overall happiness.
It also makes great me-time.
Well studies have shown that even just 10 minutes of exercise can improve your health.
That’s a small workout before bed each night where you don’t even have to shower after! #dontjudgeme
Just 10 minutes a day can lift your mood, build muscle, and manage your weight.
Exercise as a mom is important because it can change your whole mood (including depression and anxiety), make you feel strong, and relieve stress.
I use running to help relieve my depression and anxiety. Running has been a constant in my life since becoming a mother because it has helped keep me grounded (LINK). When I go a whole week without working out, my body feels it.
I know, as moms, we are super busy! It’s so hard to fit in a workout, and it’s even harder to make yourself get up early to do it before the kids wake up or do it at night after the kids are in bed because you are so tired!
I get it!
But, do you have 10 minutes a day to spare?
Or, put on some Dora the Explora for the kids and get to work! You’ll be done before the exercise is over. Let that map song fuel your fire!
AND if you’re a working mom, you could fit this in during your lunch break, or you could go on a walk during your lunch break.
None of these exercises require any equipment, just your body!
What!? A ten minute workout that doesn’t require equipment? Can life get any better!?
“I submit that it cannot!”
10 Ten Minute Workouts for the Busy Mom
Side Note: Since I do not feel confident enough (I know, I’m working on my self love) to take pictures of myself to show you each move, I have done my best to include pictures and links to show you how! You can also google any of these moves and you will instantly find it!
The Leg Workouts
Leg workouts are my favorite. I get the best workouts when I do my legs. It also helps with my running so that’s a plus. Here’s a 10 minute leg workout:
In this workout you will do 9 exercises all for 1 minute with a 10-15 second rest in between. If you can’t do the whole minute, work up to it. Start by doing 2 sets of 30 secs with a 10-20 second rest in between. It can be rough, but hang in there, you can do it!
- Wall sits 2 sets of 30 seconds with a 10 minute rest in between.
- Calf Raises
- Squat jumps
- Lunges alternating legs (You could use weights if you wanted to, as shown below)
- Frog jumps or walks
- Squat Walks -Walk while in squatting position
- Side Kicks
The Arm Workouts
I am so weak when it comes to upper body strength. I just hate working out my arms, but when I do, I feel instantly stronger! haha.
Here is a 10-Minute Arm Workout:
- Hold Plank for 30 Seconds for 2 sets, with a 10 second break in between. If you have to, go to your knees and work up to being off your knees. If you can’t do the full 30, just hold as long as you can and work up to it. if 30 seconds is too short for you, hold for the full minute.
- Push up max out. Max out on push-ups. Do as many as you can until you can’t push up any more. Do this twice with a 15 second break in between. Keep track of your number and try to increase it each time. (If you have to, then drop to your knees).
- Triceps dip max out. Do as many triceps dips as you can until you can dip no more. Do this twice with a 15 second break in between. Keep track of your number and try to increase it each time.
From here you can either repeat above, or continue the next steps below. You might want to switch it up every time you work out.
- Shoulder Squeeze. 30 seconds for 2 sets, 10 second break in between.
- Side Plank push up. 30 seconds for 2 sets, 10 second break in between. (You could also drop to your knee if you need a modification.) In this exercise you want to move your hips up and down, but only your hips.
- Downward Facing Dog Pushups. 30 seconds for 2 sets, 10 second break in between. In this position do pushups.
For any of these moves, you can modify it by decreasing the time and working up to it. For advanced moves, do it for a longer time. You could also do different type of pushups to make it harder. Like placing your arms right below your shoulders and doing a push up.
The Core Workouts
The core. If I had a dime for every time someone advised to work out my core. Well, that’s probably good advice because it’s good for you. It stabilizes everything and makes you stronger all around.
Here is a 10 minute core workout: If you do this workout rapid fire, I mean, one after the other, you will be burning!!! But do the pace you feel comfortable with.
- Plank- Hold for 2 sets of 30 seconds with 10 second rest in between. Go to your knees if you have to and work up to your feet. Make sure you’re sucking your belly into the ceiling. If you’re feeling ambitious, alternate stretching out your arms.
- Bridges 2 sets of 30 seconds with 10 second rest in between. If you’re feeling ambitious, do them while lifting one leg in the air. (You can also do this move pregnant). Also, don’t feel like you have to clasps her hands as shown below.
- Squats. 45 seconds with 10 second rest. If you need to, start at 2 sets of 20-30 seconds. Squats not only work your legs, but your whole center. Squeeze those abs while you go down to get that extra little something!
- Straight leg raise– If you can’t go down all the way, that’s okay, go as far as you can. 2 sets of 30 seconds.
- Hip Lift 2 sets of 30 seconds. You can work up to a full minute.
- Twists 2 sets of 30 seconds. You can work up to a full minute.
- Superman/Banana 45 seconds -60 seconds with 10 second rest.
- Bicycles. 2 sets of 30 seconds. Work up to a full minute.
The Cardio Workouts
I love cardio! If I could get stronger off of doing just cardio, that is all I would do. I just feel like I’m getting a good workout when my heart rate is up and I’m sweating like Rocky.
Plus, I like to run.
Here is a 10-Minute Cardio Workout:
Do each move for 50 seconds with a 10 second break in between. If that’s too difficult, work up to 50 seconds and start with 30 seconds with a 15 second break than 45 seconds with a 15 second break.
- Jumping Jacks
- High Knees
- Butt Kicks
- Mountain Climbers
- Squat Jumps
- Suicide Drill
- Punches plus upper cuts
- Power Knees
- High Jumps- Jump as high as you can and tuck your knees.
The Butt Workout
Who doesn’t want a nice butt?
Tone those gluts with this simple, yet effective workout:
- The Squat Walk. 2 sets of 30 seconds. You do not need a weight to do this exercise, trust me!
- Bridge. 45 Seconds with 15 second break. Really squeeze those gluts.
- Lunges. 20 Lunges, on each leg. Work up to more.
- Side lunges. 25 on each side.
- Peeing Dog. 25 on each side.
- Squat. 25 squats, work up to more.
- One Leg Squat. 25 on each leg.
- Reverse Lunge. 20 each leg.
Again, make sure you work up to these. Don’t feel like you have to do all 20 if you’re just starting out.
6. The Full Body Workout
There are times where I don’t want to work out anything specifically, I just want to do a full body workout. This is a simple full body workout. It’s great to do this in between arm and leg days or with a good run, if you have the time, of course.
Try to go through the list as fast as you can. I usually try to do a 10-15 second break in between each. If you need more time, take it, and then slowly try to decrease your break time.
If you find that you have conquered them all. Increase the amount you’re doing.
- 15 jump squats
- 15 mountain climbers
- 30 jumping jacks
- 20 push ups
- 50 crunches
- 15 burpees. To modify this move, don’t add the pushup.
- 30 Second Plank
- 45 Seconds High Knees
- 15 Lunges
- 10 Superman/Banana
- 40 calf raises
7. The Cardio Plyometric Workout
Plyometric workouts are so hard, but so good! They are my second favorite because it’s a good combination of strength and cardio. I am definitely Rocky sweating by the end.
Some of these moves might be ones you have to work up to. Do each exercise for 45 seconds with 15 second break. If you can’t do 45 seconds, work up to it.
- Jump Lunges
- Side Jumps
- Kick Lunge. Lunge, then add a kick when you come up.
- Frog jumps
- 180 jump squats
- Mountain Climbers
- Plank Jacks
8. The Yoga Workout
I am not a yoga person by any means. I like it when I’ve done it, but it just doesn’t sound fun to me, so I often avoid it. But it’s so relaxing. Maybe after your most stressful days you can unwind with some yoga!
For the yoga workout, choose 10 moves listed below and do them for a minute each, or choose 20 moves below and do them for 30 seconds each. I chose very simple moves. For pictures of these moves refer here.
- Downward Dog
- 3 Legged Dog
- Warrior 1
- Child’s Pose
- Ankle Pose
- Standing Side Bend
- Plow Pose
- Cat + Cow
- Half Moon
- Spinal Twist
- Up Dog/Cobra
For advanced yoga moves you are going to need a true Yogi. I will refer you to avocadu.com
9. The Flexibility Workout
Stretching!!!! You have to include stretching in your daily workout regimen. It’s so important. Here’s why. Sometimes it’s good to take a relaxing day to stretch. These are good for your day off, or at night before bed, or even when you wake up in the morning.
Hold each stretch for 1 minute. Depending on what you worked out that week, you could spend more time on a certain area of your body.
- Neck Rolls
- Hamstring Stretch
- Piriformis Stretch
- Quads Stretch
- Hip Flexor Stretch. Really push the hip towards the floor.
- Calf Stretch. Push your heels toward the floor as far as you can to get the calves a good stretch.
- Shoulder Stretch
- Shoulder II Stretch
- Shoulder III Stretch
For the 3 shoulder stretches above I’ll refer you to this video.
- Low Back Stretch
10. The Tabata Workout
The Tabata workout has recently become one of my favorites. It’s a high intensity workout, but the timing makes it doable. Just before you hit your breaking point, you get a break.
Tabata is an exercise that you do for 20 seconds, 10 second break, 20 seconds of exercise, 10 second break. You do the best you can as quick and accurate as you can for that 20 seconds. It goes by pretty fast.
Here is a simple Tabata workout: (If it can even qualify as simple). Remember do the exercise for 20 seconds with a 10 second break, then repeat the same exercise for a second time. (20 seconds with a 10 second break).
45 Second Break
- Squat jumps (jump as high as you can)
- High Knees
45 Second Break
Other Workouts not listed here:
Dancing- Great workout that doesn’t feel like your working out.
Tips for fitting in your Exercise:
- Workout at the same time every day, and don’t vary from it. Otherwise, you’ll always be saying, I’ll do it later.
- Don’t be afraid to work out when the kids are up or home or around. Make them do it with you.
- Let the kids know your designated workout time. You need to stay healthy and exercise, so mommy can help you after she’s finished. Plus, when kids see you exercise, they are more likely to be active.
- Monday’s are always a good day to exercise, it helps set you up for the week.
- Getting dressed is the first step. Just tell yourself you’re going to at least get dressed. You’re more likely to work out.
- Remember that exercising can energize you, so if you’re feeling tired, it might help to exercise.
Here are so more tips about how to workout with kids.